The Biotechnology career major provides students with the ability to explore and research the many careers in the biotechnology industry such as biomanufacturing, pharmaceuticals, plant and animal sciences, medical sciences, and the environmental and engineering fields.
Biotechnology is the science for this century. Students in this program utilize the sciences of biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, computers, and information technology to develop tools and products for everyday living and future uses.
As part of the Biotechnology career major, students who complete 48 credit hours and attain the related competencies are eligible for a certificate in biomanufacturing. A certificate in biomanufacturing prepares students for entry-level positions in many areas of biopharmaceutical production with excellent opportunities for advancement and career growth. This certificate also augments a student's ability for further education in bio-related fields, which many of our students pursue while earning college credit.
Students within the Biotechnology program who plan on pursuing a career in science by continuing their education at a four-year institute should inquire with their guidance counselor regarding appropriate course selection.
Video: Hear From A Recent Graduate
Video: Hear From A Teacher
- Introduction to Biotechnology
- Biotechnology Career Exploration
- Aseptic Techniques
- DNA Analysis, Restriction, and PCR
- Plant Tissue Culture
- Instrumentation and Laboratory Techniques
- Statistical Process Control
- FDA Regulations and Controls
- Sustainability and Green Technologies
- Basic Instrumentation (Microscopes, pH Meters, Autoclave, etc.)
- Molecular Biology
- Good Manufacturing Practices
- Good Documentation Practices
- Marine Biology
- Writing Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
- Quality Control and Assurance
An associate’s degree provides the required education for entry level industry positions, such as laboratory technicians or research assistants. A Bachelor’s degree is sufficient for some jobs in applied research or product development. A Ph.D. is usually required for independent research in the biotechnology field.
Career Tree: Biotechnology
- OSHA 10-Hour General Industry Safety
- Massachusetts Biomanufacturing Certification
Possible Career Pathways
- Biomedical Engineering
- Forensic Scientist
- Environmental Science
- Research Assistant
- Research Associate
- Laboratory Technician
- Quality Control
- Quality Assurance
- Process Development Science
- Maintenance and Instrumentation
- Research and Development
- Biomanufacturing Specialist: $55,000-$78,000/year with high school diploma or Associates Degree
- Research Assistant/Associate: $55,000-$75,000/year with diploma or Associates Degree
- Biotechnology Research Scientist: $93,000/year with Bachelor Degree
- Product Management Director: $149,000 with Master Degree
Advisory Committee Partners
- Becton Dickinson
- Biotechnology Center of Excellence Corp.
- Boston University School of Medicine
- Discovery Labware
- Genzyme Corporation
- Great Bay Community College
- Lab Support/On Assignment
- Middlesex Community College
- RainDance Technologies, Inc.
- Shire Pharmaceuticals
- THINQ Pharma
- Wyeth Corp.
- Middlesex Community College