May 10, 2020 Update: Graduation and Personal Belongings Pick-Up
On Sunday, May 10, Superintendent-Director Ed Bouquillon sent the following email to families with details on the June 5 graduation ceremony and the plan for all students in grades 9-12 to retrieve personal belongings from the school building:
Dear Minuteman High School Community,
As we approach the end of the school year amid a long-term closure, we have had to re-think virtually all aspects of how we provide education and celebratory events for our students. Finding ways to honor the hard work of our seniors is making us think creatively in a way we never have before.
With that, we are pleased to announce that we are holding a drive-in graduation ceremony for the Class of 2020 on Friday, June 5th, at 2:00 PM, at Minuteman High School, 758 Marrett Road, Lexington. The ceremony will be streamed live on YouTube.
The drive-in graduation is certainly unorthodox and something we have never done. While we cannot replace a traditional graduation ceremony, we are happy to provide a forum where students and parents can share their pride and excitement in the same location while also following important physical distancing measures.
Here is how the ceremony will work:
- Students will pick up personal belongings, including their cap and gown, along with a “Class of 2020” yard sign, at specifically scheduled times on Tuesday, June 2nd, and Wednesday, June 3rd. (More details are provided further in this letter.)
- We encourage everyone to decorate their vehicles as much as possible!
- Staff members and signs will direct traffic with assistance from police detail officers.
- We are only allowing one vehicle per student. The occupants of the vehicle should be the student’s parents/guardians or household members. (If you do not have access to a vehicle, please email Principal George Clement.)
- Each vehicle will park in a designated area of the parking lot. Students will be grouped in with their career technical education (CTE) shops.
- All students and family members, whether in their vehicles or elsewhere, are encouraged to watch the graduation ceremony on our live stream from their devices.
- Students will be called to drive to the entrance of the building, where they will receive their diploma and pose for a photograph.
- Students will then return to their vehicle and will drive off campus. No physical post-ceremony gatherings on campus are allowed.
- We are holding a virtual after-party for seniors that will be hosted by Mr. John Donato, the senior class advisor. (Details will be shared soon.)
The drive-in graduation can only be successful if everyone follows these rules:
- Each graduate is allowed one (1) vehicle on campus only.
- The speed limit on campus is 10 mph and must be obeyed at all times.
- No one is allowed to ride in the bed of a pickup truck or hang outside the window at any time.
- All vehicles must be backed into their designated parking spots upon arrival.
- No alcohol or drugs are allowed in a vehicle at any time. Officers from the Lincoln and/or Lexington police departments will be on-hand.
- Everyone must remain in their vehicles at all times. There will be no gathering outside the vehicle for any reason.
- Anyone honking horns or playing music during the ceremony will be asked to leave.
- After receiving the diploma, vehicles will exit campus in an orderly fashion.
- No post-ceremony gatherings on campus will be allowed.
While this is clearly an unusual way to hold a graduation, we hope that it will be a way for students and their families to share their excitement and create a happy memory of this milestone.
Picking Up Personal Items
All students in grades 9-12 are asked to pick up their personal belongings from the school building at specific times on Tuesday, June 2, and Wednesday, June 3, while wearing a mask/face covering and following physical distancing measures. Students will be grouped with their CTE shops.
For seniors, this will be the time to retrieve your cap and gown for graduation along with a “Class of 2020” yard sign. In addition, seniors must also drop off their computers, uniforms,and any other school items, and retrieve personal items from their shops. Additionally, seniors will pick up their guidance and medical folders.
- No one other than Minuteman students will be allowed in the building.
- There will be a limited number of students allowed inside at any given time.
- Students will be asked to move quickly. This is not a time to socialize with friends.
- Masks or face coverings must be worn at all times.
- Please sanitize your hands upon entry and after departure.
- Do not come to school if you, anyone in your family, or your close contacts have been diagnosed with COVID-19. Please email Assistant Principal Brian Tildsley to make alternative arrangements.
- Do not come to school if, in the past 14 days, you or anyone close to you has experienced COVID-19 symptoms.
Tuesday, June 2:
- Students in Grades 9-11:
- 8:15-8:45 AM: Biotechnology and Engineering
- 9:00-9:30 AM: Automotive and Horticulture
- 9:45-10:15 AM: Metal Fabrication and Environmental
- 10:30-11:00 AM: Electrical and Cosmetology
- 11:30 AM-12:15 PM: Biotechnology and Engineering
- 12:30-1:15 PM: Automotive and Horticulture
- 1:30-2:15 PM: Metal Fabrication and Environmental
- 2:30-3:15 PM: Electrical and Cosmetology
Wednesday, June 3:
- Students in Grades 9-11:
- 8:15-8:45 AM: Culinary and Design & Visual Communications
- 9:00-9:30 AM: Plumbing and Early Childhood
- 9:45-10:15 AM: Carpentry and Health Assisting
- 10:30-11:00 AM: Programming/Web and Robotics
- 11:15-11:45 AM: Advanced Manufacturing and Multimedia Engineering
- 12:00-1:00 PM: Culinary and Design & Visual Communications
- 1:15-2:15 PM: Plumbing and Early Childhood
- 2:30-3:15 PM: Carpentry and Health Assisting
- 3:30-4:15 PM: Programming/Web and Robotics
Staff will be able to retrieve their personal belongings on Thursday, June 4.
The Minuteman building will be closed until further notice after Friday, June 5, in order for the facilities staff to conduct a thorough cleaning of the building. We will provide you an update with additional details about retrieval of items and building access closer to these dates.
We congratulate the Class of 2020 and we look forward to an exciting, first-ever drive-in graduation!
Minuteman High School